13 March 2008

diabetes

By Shelly


Hi I’M Shelly and I have type 2 diabetes I just finished 1 year as I diabetic so I thought I write something for the coast post on what it like to have diabetes. To have diabetes is to have to test your blood sugars everyday and take pills or insulin but that not all as a diabetic you have to watch what you eat and make sure to do some exercise everyday. Having diabetes put you at risk for many other conditions like eye disease and heart disease but if you look after your self you may not have any of problems. The next thing you have to do as a diabetic is have a ac1 test this is a blood test done every three months to see how sugar in your blood you want the sugar to be around 7 but you need to ask your doctor what number they want you at. To know it your diabetic you will a blood test and if your blood sugars come back over 7 or higher you maybe diabetic. November is diabetes month and on November 14 it is world diabetes day. There is the Canadian Diabetes Assoc ion and there website is http://www.diabetes.ca/ this is a good site as it for Canadians and you can get some some great information. I just had my ac1 test done and it was 7.5 so it good but I want it at 7 so I will keep working at it. This has been a great first year as a diabetic but I still got a ways to go. I just hope one day a cure is found. Thank you Shelly

No comments: